Tuesday, September 9, 2014

MLH Art Board prep ...

In answer to those who have asked: no, I don't paint on canvas, generally. Rather, I prefer the stability and texture of painting on mahogany or oak G2S 3/4" plywood. Painting on the undulating grain patterns connects me to my furniture and wood-working roots. It's an Earth 'tree' thing, that makes sense to me, and I really like how the wood grain pattern glimmers through when the painting is done.

I'll spend several hours selecting out the stock from the local lumber yard and then they will trim it down to my specifications.

Later, in prep, I sand the boards with coarse grain paper, do a prime top coat to see where and how the grain 'bleeds', sand it down again with fine grain paper, apply another prime coat, sand again, and then get on with it ... PAINT.

Serious Fun.

No comments: